Sunday, January 27, 2013

Here we go again

Is there a sign on my forehead that says "please, I really really want you to talk to me even though I really really don't"?

I was out and about this afternoon and here comes some stray guy... well, maybe not that stray since we were both at PRS (I was supposed to meet JB, who hadn't shown up by 2:30 so here I am at the library... btw, don't ask, I'm not telling). But, in a nutshell, I get "Hi, how are you? Do you come here often? Are you going to be around later?" And I just sit there, being as polite and pleasant as I can possibly be without being over-encouraging.

I don't think it worked.

Again... me and the crazy... why? Was I bad in a former life? Is karma coming back to bite me in the ass?

On a semi-related note, a friend, JB, wants me to co-author a book with a friend of hers. Seems she thinks I can write even though she's never even seen a sample and she thinks that G's writing could benefit from my sense of humor and then we could both share the royalties. I'll have to think about it.

On an unrelated note, people who don't answer e-mails where I ask specific questions and/or answer my questions very vaguely really annoy me. Be precise. Say what you mean or don't say anything at all. Seems I may have surprised someone this weekend when I said he could have the last buffalo shrimp. Maybe he didn't think I meant it, maybe he thought I'd change my mind. Ummmm... no. Wouldn't have said it if I hadn't meant it. Although, then again, maybe I was just being polite after all.

I also did something this weekend that I haven't done for a very, very long time. (No, not that. Well, yes, that but something else and get your mind off the webcam, JB.)

I finally managed to walk a Civil War battlefield for the first time in years. Probably 20 years or more. And let me tell you that it will not be another 20 years before I walk another one. Seems Cold Harbor has a one-mile trail that circles what's left of the battlefield. And what's left is a lot of the earthworks and trenches. As you walk the trail, there are signposts explaining what you're looking at. Next time I go, I also want to hit Gaines' Mill, which is right around the corner from Cold Harbor. If it's even close to as good as Cold Harbor is, I'm right there with it. Of course, most of both battlefields are gone because of location, location, location, but it's still fun to stand in the middle and just imagine what it looked like in the still before the battle was engaged. (No, I do not imagine the battles nor do I imagine the aftermath. Way too gruesome for me.)

Going to karaoke tonight since I haven't been for a couple of weeks and I really need to talk to Ms. CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment