Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A little bit of everything

People come to DC to get the attention of the government and they seem to think that the best way to do it is to make a spectacle or block traffic or both. I was headed east on Rte. 50 yesterday and traffic in the right lane was NOT moving. At all. I managed to get into the lefthand lane, where traffic was moving marginally. And then I saw why. Someone decided to turn their wagon (a real, wooden wagon) into a covered wagon, complete with horses, and was headed east on Rte 50 in order to get the attention of Congress as to the plight of the small businessman. Amazingly, they stopped at the same IHOP where I decided to stop and have breakfast/lunch.


If you look closely, you can see that they had to correct the spelling of business from busin-ass to busin-ess. I felt the first spelling was rather appropriate, but then again, I'm still annoyed about the man who wanted to commit suicide by cop on the Wilson Bridge and that was 11 years ago.


Speaking of the Wilson Bridge, they've been doing beaucoup work on Telegraph Road as part of the bridge project and they've made a fascinating change as far as I'm concerned.

My complex is bounded by two roads: Huntington Ave and N Kings Hwy. Huntington gives entry to the lower part of the complex and N Kings gives entry to the upper part of the complex. Heading south on Telegraph, you would turn left at the first light for Huntington and left at the second light for N Kings. Part of the re-working was changing the exit ramps from the beltway and, they also included the intersections onto the two roads from Telegraph. So, now, I turn right at the FIRST light (rather than left at the second one) to get to N Kings Hwy and right at the SECOND light (rather than left at the first one) for Huntington. In fact, you have to get to the third light before they let you make any left turns at all. I imagine it'll make the intersection much safer when they're done.

However, I bet it's messing with lots of people are getting lost and that's pretty funny.


1 comment:

  1. My favorite wackadoodle was the guy who drove his tractor into the pond over by the Vietnam Memorial several years ago. He was "speaking" out for farmer's rights, and was flying the flag of tobacco (just a big flag with a tobacco leaf on it, probably homemade) ! He snarled traffic, and several buildings were evacuated because he would not get off the tractor, and they did not know if he had explosives. Last I heard he was doin' time in Federal Prison!!

    ReplyDelete