Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dilettantes and Tonsil Hockey

You might not think those two subjects are related, but, well, they are.

Two people showed up last night at CV's gig (god, I love going to listen to her) wearing hockey jerseys. Since one of them was on my very favorite player in the league (Brooks Laich, who my sweet <cough> Bill is named after), I had to go say something. So, one was wearing Brooksy's jersey and the other was wearing an Eric Fehr jersey. Yeah, Eric Fehr who was traded to the Winnipeg Thrashers. (Yes, they are. I don't care that they've resurrected the name, their history is of the Thrashers and that makes them the Thrashers.)

I considered it a good trade since Fehr is, as usual, on the injured list.

Of course, these are also the two women who complained about spending $110/seat for seats that are FIVE rows from the ice. Yes, FIVE rows. I'd kill or die for those seats, but, then again, I'm actually a hockey fan.

Making conversation as they left, I commented that tonight was the battle of the unbeatens and I was informed that Thursday night was that also. Ummm, no. And I said so and the idiot in the Fehr jersey argued with me. Not smart. I am a woman who knows my hockey and I had looked it up when we were 5-0 to see how many undefeated teams were left and there were exactly two: the Caps and the Wingz.

So let's examine that little hockey oddity, the record: Caps are 6-0-0 and the Wingz are 5-0-0 going into tonight, which makes them undefeated in every sense of the word. The Phlyers, however, were 4-0-1 going into Thursday, which makes them not undefeated, in every sense of the word. You see that '1' on the end? That's an overtime loss. And a loss is a loss is a loss.

Moral of the story? Don't argue with people who know more about hockey than you do. It makes you look like an idiot. Then again, if the shoe fits.....

And that leads me to T, who was wasted last night. She asked me about half a dozen time what I was working on (because I brought my knitting), despite my having given her the information after she asked the first time. In fact, I wrote it down and gave it to her so her sister could make it for her.

I was fine with that although about the third time she asked, I was getting annoyed (yeah, you get to ask twice, but at number three, I will still tell you to take notes.) There was this guy (C) in the bar who was not as wasted as T, but he had had tee martoonis. I actually decided to stick close to T, in case she needed a safe harbor because I don't like men who hit on women who are actually too drunk to consent in a meaningful way.

My bad! CV is up there belting out "Let's Get It On" and T and C were playing tonsil hockey. I'm good with tonsil hockey (see, there was a tie in), and I was cracking up during "Let's Get It On" and the subsequent "Pink Cadillac." When T left with C, I really wanted to ask her if she was sure she wanted to go home with him because she didn't know him and I thought he was kind of slimy, especially since his hand kept wandering up her skirt right there at the table. But I knew that my asking that would make her definitely go with him even though she was acting like it was a bad idea. This was after she accused me of acting like her mother and kept accusing me of judging her.

I still don't deal with drunks well. And I really hope T is okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment